Xiamen University Postdoctoral Research Fellow Recruitment Announcement (2019)
Founded in 1921 by Mr. Tan Kah Kee, a well-known patriotic overseas Chinese leader, Xiamen University is one of China’s key and first-class universities that enjoy privileged support from the government’s “211 Project” and “985 Project” and one of the A-level universities in national “world-class universities and disciplines” project. XMU has a complete disciplinary system including Humanities, Social Science, Natural Science, Engineering and Technical Science, Management Science, Art Science, Medical Science etc. 15 disciplines have been listed in the global top 1% by ESI. In 2017, five disciplines, Chemistry, Marine Science, Biology, Ecology and Statistics, were selected into the list of national world-class disciplines. XMU has more than 200 research institutions, including two National Collaborative Innovation Centers (initiated by XMU), four National Key Laboratories, one National Engineering Research Center, one National Engineering Laboratory,two National and Local Joint Engineering Research Center, and three National and Local Joint Engineering Laboratories.
Xiamen University is one of the first organizations approved by the government to establish postdoctoral research centers. It has established 31 postdoctoral research centers at present with a number of mentor teams leaded by well-known scholars such as academicians, chief scientists of National Key Research and Development Programs, professors of Changjiang Scholars Program, distinguished young scholars and specially-appointed professors. Most of the postdoctoral students trained by XMU have grown as academic leaders and mainstays of the organizations that they later serve. Some outstanding ones have become leading scholars, such as academicians of Chinese Academy of Sciences, specially-appointed professors of Changjiang Scholars Program, chief scientists of “973 Program”, or the winners of National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars.
XMU will take postdoctoral researchers as its important reserve force of high-level talents and main source of its faculty reserve by attaching special importance to constructing full-time postdoctoral research teams. We sincerely welcome you to join XMU, the most beautiful universities of China!
A.Areas of Recruitment
Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, Philosophy, Archaeology, World History, Journalism and Communication, Foreign Languages and Literature, Statistics, Applied Economics, Theoretical Economics, Business Administration, Management Science and Engineering, Public Administration, Politics, Sociology, Law, Pedagogy, Mathematics, Physics, Electronic Science and Technology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Technology, Materials Science and Engineering, Biology, Marine Science, Environmental Science and Engineering, Ecology, Information and Communication Engineering, Computer Science and Technology, Control Science and Engineering, Instrument Science and Technology.
For the details of the vacant positions and the requirements, please refer to the attachment 1 “2019 Xiamen University Postdoctoral Research Fellow Recruitment Plan”.
B. Recruitment Requirements
1. Applicants should possess sound ideological and political views as well as physical and mental health. Applicants should be 35 years old or younger.
2. Applicants should have obtained a doctoral degree from well-known universities or scientific research institutes at home or abroad in recent 3 years.
3. Applicants should have strong scientific research ability and innovative ability, and meet other recruitment requirements by XMU postdoctoral centers.
C. Benefits and Supporting Policy
1. Salary: no less than 160,000 RMB (before tax) per year. Those who have been selected into the National and Fujian Provinces Talent Subsidy Plan will enjoy the corresponding treatment (for details of the application method, see the postdoctoral website of XMU);
National and Fujian Province Talent Funding Plan
Main Support Measures
Postdoctoral Innovation Talent
Funding term: 2 years.
A total of 600,000 RMB National funding, including 400,000 RMB allowance and 200,000 RMB research fund.
HongKong Scholars Program
Funding term: 2 years.
One year from the mainland: 360,000 RMB
One year from Hong Kong: 360,000 HK dollars
International Exchange Programs
Funding term: 2 years
National subsidy: 200,000RMB per year
University subsidy: 100,000RMB per year
Fujian Province Strait
Category A 2 years;
Category B 1 year
1.Nature Science, Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Science: at least 260,000 RMB per year, including 100,000 RMB research fund and at least 160,000 RMB allowance .
2.Social Science and Humanities: at least 210,000 RMB per year including 50,000 RMB research fund and at least 160,000 RMB allowance .
2. Social insurance and provident fund: Xiamen University will pay social insurance and provident fund for postdoctors according to national regulations.
3. Reward: after being selected as a postdoctoral fellow in high-level talent support programs like the national “Postdoctoral Innovation Talent Support Program” and “Young Talents Support Program”, the award will be given at a rate of 8,000 yuan per person per month from the following month;
4. Research funding: after entering the center, you can apply for the China Postdoctoral Science Fund, which will provide 50,000 to 180,000 yuan research grants according to different levels. Those who are selected into national, provincial or municipal projects will receive corresponding research funding (see the postdoctoral website of XMU for more information of the project application method);
5. Housing: postdoctoral apartments or room renting allowance is provided.
6. Schooling of children: the children of postdoctors will enjoy the same privilege as those of XMU faculty members in kindergarten and school registration.
7. Academic title: during the stay in XMU research centers, postdoctors can apply for the titles of Assistant Research Fellow or Associate Research Fellow. Those who cut a striking figure in his or her field with widely accepted and influential outcome can apply for “XMU ‘Strength of the Nation’ Youth Talent Program and will be bestowed the title of Research Fellow.
8. Overseas exchange: During the time in the center, postdoctors can apply for going abroad for academic exchanges or cooperative research as needed for one year at most.
9. Retain to work in XMU: outstanding postdoctors are warmly welcomed to apply for the positions of faculty members of XMU.
D. Application Procedures
1. Contact the Cooperative Supervisors
Applicants should email their applying materials to their cooperative supervisors with email subjects as “name + name of target research center + postdoctor” to gain the approval from their cooperative supervisors. The application materials mainly consist of:
(1) Personal curriculum vitae;
(2) Scanned files that can prove applicants’ required qualifications (PDF file format, including certificates and diplomas, research achievements such as papers, monographs, research projects and patents, awards and others);
(3) Recommendation letters from two experts.
2. Submit the Admission Application Materials
Applicants should visit the postdoctoral website of XMU, read the Procedure of Postdoctoral Admission, and provide the applying materials as required to the center staff (those who are jointly recruited by the center and the postdoctoral workstation should submit to the workstation for approval first).
After the approval, the applicant officially gets access to the center and should go through the formalities for registration.
E. Contact Us
1. XMU Postdoctoral Affairs Office
Contacts: He Xiaofang(Ms); Guo Qianqian(Ms)
Office hours: Monday to Friday 8:00-11:40, 14:30-17:30 (Beijing time, GMT+8)